Monday, April 16, 2007

Lunch with the Sopranos

Last month Chris, Jayme and I were strategically walking through downtown when we paid a visit to one of Chris's buddies who owns a fishing supplies store. He enjoyed having us stop by and invited us to join him at the "best kebap" restaurant in town. (kebap is ground lamb meat with spices served over bread. it's really good and a specialty in this part of the country.) We were actually fasting that day so I kindly told him next week. Chris went back to see him last week and he was upset that we didn't take him up on his offer and come back the following week. Little did I know he would take me seriously but none the less, Chris and I headed down there today to join him for lunch. We didn't get there until 1pm b/c my toilet installers were 1.5 hours late this morning, which is typical, which is why we weren't worried about being late for lunch. Besides what is late if no one knows what time it is anyway. Another reason we were late though was because we couldn't find the shop. Granted Chris has been there dozens of times but always on bus and foot; driving there is a different story. Have you ever been two blocks away from your desired destination but you couldn't figure out how to get there? Once we got there mob boss, Tony Soprano, (not his real name) meets us and makes a few calls to round up the entourage. When the crew is accounted for, we head through a back alley, through a courtyard and into the back door of the restaurant. We found the inside a little crowded, leading us to believe it might actually be the best kebap shop in town. The attendents tried to pull some tables together for the six of us, but Tony didn't like the setup and said we will sit outside in the courtyard. So they scurry to set up some tables and chairs in the courtyard area. Over the next 20 minutes they brought us 9 different salad-ish appetizers. That's right 9! Some with just lettuce, some with just tomatoes, some with cucumbers and yogurt and some with combinations of all of the above. Now we usually get free salad stuff at restaurants but it's only 2 or 3 items, never before have I seen 9, and that doesn't include the bread. So after I am half-full off the salad, they bring out the kebaps. I am a big fan of kebaps so I am excited to see what the fuss is all about. I don't know if it was the best, but it was pretty fine. Most of them taste the same to me, b/c how do you differentiate when all you have to work with is meat and bread. About halfway through my plate I started getting full but I didn't stop as to not offend. (I am still hurting and it's four hours later.) So when we get ready to leave, we just get up and walk off. No bill, no payment that I saw. Possibly just a handshake or a wink of the eye. I am certainly thankfully for the meal but I think I am going to let Chris handle this friendship without me, because as you, once you get into the family, you never get out.

No comments: