Saturday, February 17, 2007

Post Valentine's Day Celebration

We opted this year to forgo the Valentine's Day tradition and postpone our celebration until Friday night. Oddly enough, V-Day might be just as big of an event and marketing push here as back home. So much so that when I tried to make reservations for Friday night at Kıp Kırmızı they reminded me more than once that Valentine's is on Wednesday meaning, "why are you trying to celebrate it on Friday idiot, don't you know how the system works." But we showed up at 6:00 and were promptly seated at the "special table" which put us on display in front of the large window facing the road. The table was nicely decorated with rose petals and what was remaining of the rose was in a vase. Nice touch, but they did manage to add it to the bill, probably as a way to get me back for trying to buck the system. So after our romantic dinner, we swung around the corner for a night at the symphony. I'll let Jayme tell you about the fun she had there. Well... we were at the symphony and it was going so well - we were so impressed with the peformance. At intermission I had to use the restroom and went to get in line. There were only two stalls so there was a short wait. As I neared the front of the line I saw that the restrooms were indeed squatty potties. Here I was, all dressed up, coat on, purse in hand about to enter this TINY stall with a squatty potty. I really had to go to the bathroom so I went in, only to find out when you shut the door it is pitch black as there are no lights in the stalls! I had to roll each of my pant legs up to my thighs since there was water all over the floor. At that moment I realized what an oxymoron I was experiencing - a squatty potty at the symphony. Ah the joys of living overseas! Check out a picture of the symphony below.

No comments: