Thursday, May 24, 2007

I knew it was going to be an interesting week when...


Well it all started when we were at some friends on Sunday evening. We were enjoying a lovely time on their new back patio, eating treats like rotel and doritos and drinking sweet tea when all of the sudden a bird pooped on my head. Yes it is true. I thought it may have just been a leaf or a bug, but unfortunately when I reached up to brush it away I discovered otherwise. This has never happened to me before and I have to say I hope it never happens again! That was Sunday. Things were calm until Wednesday. Early Wednesday morning before I went to Turkish class I was hanging out our laundry on the back balcony. I am usually very careful to shake things out on the balcony so we don't have any clothes lost over the edge. I thought I had shaken out the towel well and leaned over to hang it on the line when an unsuspecting pair of my underwear fell out... and fell down.. the wind was blowing so I watched as it carried the pink undergarments down down down.. I held my breath, hoping the wind would carry them to the ground and not onto someone's balcony below.

Alas, things were not in my favor. I watched in horror and sheer embarrassment as they landed ever so precariously on the 2nd floor balcony ledge and stopped there. I had no clue what to do but I was ready to count it as a loss and never see those panties again. I called Jared to relate this horrible event and he laughed out loud and insisted I recover the lost underwear. I then had to go to class and ask my Turkish teacher to help me with the needed vocabulary to go to my downstairs neighbors (I have never met them) and ask for my underwear off their balcony. We went by their house on the way home but no one was home. I left for the rest of the afternoon to teach. As I pulled in later that evening I noticed that the underwear were actually gone from the ledge they had been resting on. I was thrilled and also curious - where were they? I gathered up my courage and stopped on the second floor again to ask for my underwear, however, again no one was home. When I got home Jared explained how he had saved the day. He was actually taking the clothes off the line and he looked down to check on the underwear - and guess what, apparently the wind had picked up again and blown them off the balcony into the driveway. He quickly ran downstairs and nabbed the underwear - hopefully unseen! Potentially super embarrassing moment was definitely averted!

5 comments:

Mom Debbie said...

You never know what is going to fall from the sky!

Scott Taylor said...

Been pooped on by bird three different times myself. Once by a parrot at the Swiss Family Robinson attraction at Disney World (Parrots are big, and so are their, you know.) Secondly, I was at Trafalgar Square in London and we were feeding the pigeons. One decided he didn't like the crackers I had and wanted to make sure I knew it. The third time was when I was in Plano, Tx at a soccer tournament and caught one on the foot (I was shoe-less.) from another pigeon. Probably a close relative of the one in England.

I've also got an underwear story. I regularly wash our soccer practice pullovers with our laundry at home and one day at practice one of my teammates alerted me that there were some extra garments in the bag of pullovers. Yep, a pair of Amanda's intimates had made the trip to practice. That was only slightly embarrassing.

Unknown said...

Hi Jayme and Jared!

Ya'll haven't met me or anything, but your cousin Garrett is one of my closest friends. He's told me so much about you guys and I'm so excited that right now he's on a plane, crossing the ocean to see you!
I leave in 13 days to go to Ukraine, so I won't see him until I get back in August.
I've got Skype, but he won't have it til he's back in the states.
All this to say, please tell him hi for me! I'll be praying for ya'll as you travel around Turkey!

Thanks,
Madison

P.S. - make him take pictures!

One Serving HIM said...

HAHA! That's funny Jayme! That would so be my luck too. Hope things are going well for you guys!!

Kirsten said...

I love the underwear story... Because I live on the bottom floor of the building I have never had the pleasure of retrieving my own underwear from the neighbors - rather we are the recepients of the flying undies. Just last week we opened the front door to a pair of spongebob squarepants boxers hanging in our tree. :) A great way to start the morning!!