Saturday, May 05, 2007

Our First Turkish Test

As of yesterday, we have been here for exactly 4 months and so it was time for our first language test. And it was a doozy! We haven't received our results yet, but I am sure Jayme passed with flying colors and they may ask me to start over or come home. Seriously though, there isn't supposed to be a grade involved but it is supposed to show us areas where we need improvement. However, every question had a point value, indicating that there will be a score. I imagine they told us the score won't matter because they didn't want those of us that aren't linguists to throw in the towel. But it sounds to me a little like my neice's tee ball games, where they don't keep score and allow both teams to bat through the order twice and then call the game. My thing is that you know secretly most of those dads are keeping score in their head and they may not say, "We won!" But you know they are thinking it, because you've been there too and you've participated in games or tests when "they didn't keep score" and you know they only say that for the slow people. Well, I'm finally one of those slow people. But don't get me wrong, I don't think we should stop keeping score anymore because then I wouldn't be able to tell my Turkish friends that always want to play Turks vs. Americans in basketball that, "We won!"

6 comments:

Loustalot said...

Was it a spelling test as well? That could be the hook line and sinker!

J Yates said...

Unfortunately it was a spelling test as well as reading, listening, comprehension, multiple choice, true and false and fill in the blank. I think I made a 65 and Jayme made an 88, but who's counting anyway? The good news is that when my language helper came over yesterday to practice with me, I beat him 5-2 in tavla. It was the first time I had beat a Turk and I realized that they don't like to be beaten at their own game. I think I should rethink this keeping score thing.

Follower said...

Your test sounds hard, mine consisted of me having a conversation with a girl.

C-Love said...

You having a conversation with a girl? I won't believe it till I see it, Friar Follower.

And I think I had a six month head start on y'all and still managed to do worse that Jayme, and maybe Jared too.

Canım Anlatması: said...

nice job on the test you guys... just think of what you would've gotten when you first got here. it helps to appreciate the progress you've made. :) did you get any helpful feedback from the test or just a score? you guys are winners in our book regardless of your turkish. :)

luke_erin said...

I am so glad that rylie got a shout out in your story Jared!