Saturday, March 03, 2007

Rebels in Turkey

Jayme and I have recently talked about getting rid of our satellite service since very few channels are in english and they are usually not worth watching anyway. So I decided to check the guide this morning for the only sports channel we get, FOX Sports International, and I couldn't believe my eyes. Sandwiched between Firsthand Pancho Sullivan and the Soccer Report was the Ole Miss - Auburn basketball game. And it was LIVE! We get college basketball from time to time, but never live and never ever the Ole Miss Rebels. Now I wouldn't consider myself a huge Rebel basketball fan, like my buddies Ray and Wes, but I have kept up with them a little more since Andy Kennedy (Louisville, MS native) was hired as head coach. And what was even better is that it was a 1:00cst game, meaning I could watch it at a decent hour, instead of the middle of the night. And what made it even better is that it was for a share of the SEC West Championship. Now that may not mean a lot to many of you, but when a local boy in his first year takes a team with little, to no talent, and beats up on talented teams like LSU and Alabama, it is worth mentioning. So much so that they decided to show it in Turkey. I really think the Lord knew I could use that after the past few weeks and He may have even helped them pull out a win.

2 comments:

Steve said...

There are also others with Mississippi roots in your area. Timmy Bowers and Mario Austin are playing in Jerusalem (http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=ISR&Team=434).

Tim & Kate Horton said...

Sounds like a sattelite worth having! Man, we miss you guys, we just got internet in the house yesterday (there's your downside of the ol' Mac - West AFrica isn't quite ready for it yet). So hit us with skype when you see we're on. We'd love to catch up.

P.S. my Pack beat the Blue Devils in the 1st round of the ACC tourney. We get Virginia tomorrow.

Tim and Kate